Under – 18 Year Old Entitlements

Appoint Someone to Act on your Behalf

If you are unable to collect a payment or manage your financial affairs you can ask that another person (known as an agent) acts on your behalf. They can collect payments on a temporary or long-term basis. You can see who can act as an agent and what their responsibilities

Additional Expenses for a Kidney Patient

Kidney patients can claim relief, in addition to normal health expenses. Hospital dialysis patients If you regularly travel for dialysis treatment, you can claim relief on the cost of travelling to and from the hospital. There is no limit on the number of journeys you can claim for. Travel by

Additional Diet Expenses for Coeliacs and Diabetics

You can claim relief for certain food products if you have specific dietary requirements due to a medical condition. This applies to you if you are: a coeliac and you must purchase gluten free foods specifically manufactured to be gluten free diabetic and you must purchase diabetic products if your

How to Reclaim VAT on Radios for the Blind

An institution or society with its primary object being the enrichment of blind persons, may reclaim Value-Added Tax (VAT) on the purchase or importation of radio sets which are intended for the use of blind persons. Applications for repayment must be submitted within four years from the end of the

Tax Reliefs for People with a Visual Impairment

If you have certain visual impairments you may claim a reduction in the amount of tax that you pay. Under the tax system, the amount of tax that you pay to Revenue may be reduced by a system of tax credits and reliefs. You can read about how your tax is calculated for an

Checklist when Appealing a Social Welfare Decision

If you are unhappy with a decision of the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) you can make an appeal. Depending on the type of payment, you appeal either to the Social Welfare Appeals Office or the DEASP. There are a number of stages involved in the appeal

Blind Person’s Tax Credit

If you are blind or you have impaired vision during the tax year, you can claim the Blind Person’s Tax Credit. If you are married or in a civil partnership and you are both blind, you receive a doubled tax credit. The Blind Person’s Tax Credit is: €1,650 per year for

Public Services Card

A Public Services Card is usually issued when you are allocated a PPS number. If you apply for, or are currently getting a social welfare payment (including Child Benefit) you will be asked to register for your Public Services Card. If you don’t yet have a Public Services Card, you can

GP Services to Medical Card Holders

General Practitioners (GPs) provide services to medical card holders free of charge. GPs in the General Medical Services (GMS) Scheme enter into contracts with the Health Service Executive (HSE) to provide services. Patients may generally choose their doctor from a panel of doctors who are part of the scheme, provided

Student Assistance Fund:

The Student Assistance Fund provides financial support to full or part-time students who are experiencing financial difficulties while attending college. Students can apply for the Student Assistance Fund to help with either temporary or ongoing financial difficulties. The Student Assistance Fund is designed to provide a source of financial support